Frequently Asked Questions
Are face masks still required?
Face masks are not required. Individuals who are unvaccinated or high-risk are welcome to wear a face mask. Here is the current CDC guidance. We recommend social distancing whenever possible.
Do you offer refunds?
We do not offer refunds at any Harbes location. Please note ALL SALES are final.
Do you have three different locations or is everything in one place?
We have three different locations and the address of each location is listed below:
- Harbes Family Farm, 715 Sound Ave, Mattituck, NY 11952
- Harbes Orchard, 5698 Sound Ave, Riverhead, NY 11901
- Harbes Farms Jamesport, 1223 NY-25, Jamesport, NY 11947
When are you open?
- Harbes Family Farm in Mattituck, home of our Farmstand, Barnyard Adventure & Wine Tasting Barn, is open daily from May 12th through November 5th. The Wine Barn and Barnyard Adventure are open on additional November weekends through November 19th. Barnyard Adventure is open on November weekends WEATHER PERMITTING. We recommend checking our website or social media for updates. Hours of operation: Farmstand is open 10 am-6 pm daily, Barnyard Adventure is open 10 am-6 pm daily, Wine Barn is open 11 am-6 pm daily. The entire farm is open until 7 pm Fridays, Saturdays & Sundays in the summer (July & August). November hours are until 5 pm only.
- Harbes Orchard is open on Monday, Friday, weekends, and holidays Sept. & Oct. Hours of operation: 9 am-6 pm
- Harbes Farms Jamesport is open on weekends and holidays Sept. & Oct. Hours of operation: 9 am-6 pm
Which locations require an entry fee?
- Harbes Family Farm: The Barnyard Adventure, located at Harbes Family Farm in Mattituck is an admission-based area of the farm. Some fall activities such as our Wizard of Oz corn maze and South U-Pick hayride would require separate admission(s).
- Harbes Orchard: General admission (which includes apple picking) is required to enter the Orchard. Children 2 and under are FREE but do not receive a bag for apple picking.
- Harbes Farms Jamesport: There is no general admission required at our Jamesport farm and orchard. All activities are à la carte. We offer apple picking, a sunflower maze (limited time), an interactive corn maze, a hayride, and pumpkin picking on-site.
What activities do you offer at each location?
Listed below are the activities available at each location:
- Harbes Family Farm (Mattituck location): Barnyard Adventure (learn more), Wine Barn for wine tastings, glass and bottle purchases, Farmstand to purchase Harbes own fresh produce, prepared foods, sweets, and homemade ice cream. Pumpkin picking and corn maze are available at our South U-Pick in the fall.
- Harbes Orchard: apple picking, pumpkin picking, and, an interactive corn maze are all available on weekends and holidays.
- Harbes Farms Jamesport: apple picking, pumpkin picking, a sunflower maze (limited time), and an interactive corn maze are all available on weekends and holidays.
What payment methods do you accept?
We accept all major credit cards. We prefer credit or debit card payments at Harbes Orchard. Credit or debit cards only at all other Harbes locations.
Do you have pick-your-own berries or vegetables?
No, we do not. However, Patty’s Berries & Bunches is located across from our Mattituck location at 715 Sound Avenue. Patty offers berry picking June-October. As Patty’s Berries & Bunches is a separate business not affiliated with our farms, we recommend referring to her website for seasonal availability.
What is the parking situation?
Parking is FREE at all of our locations. We recommend arriving EARLY for the best parking and availability. We do not permit buses (with the exception of field trips), limos, or drop-offs at any of our locations.
What if it rains?
All farm activities are weather-dependent. In the case of inclement weather, we may need to close. Updates will be provided on our website homepage. You may also check our Facebook or Instagram pages:
Call Harbes Family Farm at 631-482-7641, Harbes Orchard at 631-683-8388, or Harbes Farms Jamesport at 631-494-4796 for recorded updates.
When is the best time to visit the farm in the fall?
Fall is our busiest time of the year. To avoid crowds, we suggest visiting on the earlier weekends (late September) and the last two weekends of October.
* NOTE: Columbus Day weekend is typically the BUSIEST weekend of the year. Although we do our best to accommodate everyone as quickly as possible, please be advised that you will encounter longer than usual wait times.
Can I bring my pet or emotional support animal?
For health and safety reasons we DO NOT permit pets on our farms. Service animals specifically trained to aid a person with a disability are welcome. Emotional support, therapy, comfort, or companion animals are not considered service animals under the ADA. Learn more about ADA guidelines regarding service animals here.
Can we bring our own food or pack a picnic?
We do not permit outside food or beverages, but we do offer concession foods at all farms for your enjoyment. There is a nearby (1-2 mile) public beach for a picnic: Pier Ave, Jamesport, NY 11947.
Any gluten-free options?
Yes, roasted corn, kettle corn, candy apples, and caramel apples are all gluten-free.
What about nut allergies?
Peanut oil is not used in our products, however, we advise carefully looking at any and all food labels on the products you buy. Caramel apples can be bought with or without peanuts. Also, please be advised that foods are not prepared in a nut-free environment.
Can we bring outside food in the case of severe allergies?
While our policy is against outside food or beverages, we want you and your loved ones to enjoy your day to the fullest. If a person in your group has special dietary restrictions we recommend eating prior to arrival or, if the rest of the group will be eating together, bring a SMALL quantity of food for the person with dietary restrictions only. NOTE: coolers and obvious displays of outside food will be addressed by security.
Do you allow buses at the Farms?
Due to parking constraints and guest safety, buses are NOT permitted. Buses are however permitted for school field trips.
Do you allow buses or limos at the Wine Barn?
Due to parking constraints and guest safety, buses and limos may not be permitted on busy weekends. Please call 631-298-WINE or email firstname.lastname@example.org for additional vineyard-related inquiries.
Do you accept reservations for the Wine Barn?
We do not take reservations for the Wine Barn, however, we welcome groups and can accommodate them on a first-come, first-served basis. Please email email@example.com with additional vineyard-related inquiries.
Do you offer birthday parties?
We offer birthday parties only at Harbes Barnyard Adventure in Mattituck. They are not available at any other Harbes location. If you would like more information please visit our Birthday Party page.
Do you offer private parties?
We do not offer private parties, but you and your group are welcome to come and enjoy the grounds or activities. We cannot accommodate special seating for groups. Seating is on a first-come, first-served basis.
Do you offer group discounts?
Sorry, group discounts are not currently available.
Where is apple picking available?
Apple picking is available at both Harbes Orchard (5698 Sound Ave. Riverhead) and Harbes Farms Jamesport (1223 Rte. 25, Jamesport). There is NO apple picking available at Harbes Family Farm in Mattituck. Both apple-picking locations are wheelchair and stroller accessible. General Admission is required for ages 3 and over at Harbes Orchard and includes a three-pound bag for apple picking. Harbes Farms Jamesport has ONLY Honeycrisp apples for picking and does not have a general admission fee. All attractions, such as apple picking, are purchased separately à la carte.
What varieties of apples do you have?
Harbes Orchard has 27 varieties of apples. Please refer to the general ripening schedule on our Orchard page to see the list of apples that we grow. Picking is subject to availability and updates are provided regularly on our Facebook & Instagram pages. Harbes Farms Jamesport has ONLY Honeycrisp apples for picking.
When is apple picking season?
For 2023, the opening weekend is Labor Day Weekend. Harbes Farms Jamesport’s last day open is Sunday, October 29th. Harbes Ochard’s last day open is Sunday, November 5th.
How do I know which varieties are being picked?